Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Homestay: first impressions

Alright, so right now I'm basking in the fast internet glory that is the CIEE study lounge. I bought a "kartochka interneta" to get online at my homestay only to find out that the only thing worse than no internet, is internet via Russian phone lines. Anyway, things are happening at such an eclectic rate that I've already done way more than I can conscionably write in one post. Thusly, I'm simply going to pick up where I left off: Homestay.
So I'm living on Vasilievsky Island, which is to St. Petersburg what Queens is to Manhattan. You know you're somewhere exciting, but can't quite shake the feeling that all the action is happening several dozen miles away from where you are (some students walk to class, I ride public transportation for an hour). All of the buildings are Stalinist era apartments, which means they make lower east side tenements look like luxury suites. That, however is only the exterior. Inside they're actually quite nice. The apartment I'm in is small, but nice. I'll put up pictures... well, whenever I feel like it. I'm living with a woman named Natalya Semyonovna and her daughter Lina (who is a little older than me). Not to brag, but I think my family is the coolest one. They are indominatably cheerful, fantastic cooks, and Lina speaks some English, so if I really can't get points across, she saves my ass. They do seem to be the one family in Russia that doesn't drink (sad face) but you know, somehow, I think I'll manage. This of course made things a little awkward when I came home after throwing back several fairly strong Russian beers after our placement exams to find Lina at home. She immediately smelled it on me, realized I was at least a couple sheets to the wind, and proceeded to laugh at me for about 2 hours as I pitifully tried to string words together. It wasn't judgmental, she just thought it was hilarious.
Still, though, they are very patient as I try to fumble my way through speaking this language and I might even come back a few pounds heavier than I left. This is because I have eaten their fantastic cooking until I felt like I was going to throw up every night only to come to the terrifying realization that I'm only done with the first course. It's kind of rude not to clean your plate in Russia, so I strap my game face on and go to town on that shit. In spite of my desire to be a good guest, however, I have yet to completely consume an entire meal. Fortunately, another reason my family is so awesome is that they don't seem to mind.
Anyway, I'm gonna log off because I'm thinking in English way too damn much right now and that's going to make my life hell when I get home and have to switch gears. Anyhoo, do skoroy vstreche, and I will update soon.

2 comments:

  1. Yo Michael!

    Sounds like you're settling in well and good to hear that all is well on the home-front there. Sorry about the phone/internet, but not unexpected. Great blog -- thanks! BTW, got your message on my cell and let K know about the phone hassles.

    Keepon keepin'on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh...immersion is awesome but yeah, english sucks. That's the only bad thing about having the intention to keep a blog.

    ReplyDelete